New York City
The New Yorker is seeking an experienced copy editor and Web producer to join its digital operation. The hired applicant will regularly work some evening or weekend shifts. Our ideal candidate has a demonstrated enthusiasm for copy editing and an interest in making copy editing a focus of his or her career.
This role is primarily to copy-edit posts for newyorker.com, with the potential for some print work. The selected applicant will write headlines and other display copy, update the home page, and occasionally be involved in newsletter production and social-media promotion. A good candidate is a thorough reader who can quickly fix mistakes of spelling, punctuation, grammar, and syntax. We are looking for someone with a finely tuned ear for language who is able to gracefully recast sentences for clarity and concision.
Applicants should have a strong sense of The New Yorker’s tone and sensibility, and an interest in mastering the magazine’s extensive house style. Candidates should be comfortable learning new editorial systems.
The role is full time at our New York office, and sometimes requires late nights, early mornings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the news cycle.
• two years’ experience as a copy editor
• a flair for writing display copy that engages the reader and adheres to The New Yorker’s voice and outlook
• experience and comfort with digital publishing and an ability to work both quickly and accurately
• a strong interest in current affairs and culture
• the ability to meet deadlines while handling multiple tasks simultaneously
• the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
• familiarity with the history, style, and values of The New Yorker