Scribendi is looking for freelance editors with expertise in science, technology, engineering and/or mathematics. Working with Scribendi requires a moderate level of computer and Internet knowledge. You need to be comfortable downloading and uploading files, saving and finding files on your computer, transferring files, renaming files, and using a website interface. You should have a good working knowledge of the major document file formats and their associated software programs. Some ability to troubleshoot technical problems is also helpful.
WHAT YOU HAVE
• A university degree in a STEM field, preferably in engineering, math, computer science, or medicine
• At least three years of experience in editing, writing, document production, or language teaching
• Native-level English ability
• Excellent reading comprehension skills and the ability to follow written instructions and work independently
• Be absolutely fanatical about meeting deadlines
• An average editing/proofreading speed of 1,000–1,500 words per hour
• Microsoft Word 2010 or later
• You need to have a secure internet connection. This includes the following requirements:
o a private network (i.e., no public Wi-Fi can be used)
o password protection
o WP2/WP3 encryption
o anti-virus/anti-spyware software (installed and regularly updated, preferably daily)
o firewall (enabled Windows Defender or other firewall software)
• Broadband/high-speed Internet access
• The ability to accept payments in US dollars
• Must not reside in the US jurisdictions of California, Colorado, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, South Dakota, Washington DC, West Virginia, or Wyoming.
• A graduate degree in a relevant field
• Experience in academic publishing
• Access to additional word processing/document production software (e.g., Open Office, LaTeX, Adobe Acrobat, Final Draft, Publisher, PageMaker)
• In-depth knowledge of one or more style guides (e.g., Chicago Manual of Style, Turabian, APA)
Scribendi is committed to equal opportunity employment. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know.