New York, NY
• Work with publisher and senior executive managing editor to finalize seasons and prepare materials for scheduling meetings, seasonal presentations, and pricing meetings.
• Enter and maintain key metadata for all titles.
• Handle all production editorial tasks on approximately 30 new titles per year. Keep books on schedule while juggling multiple projects at once.
• Recruit and evaluate new freelancers. Monitors the quality of freelance work and, in tandem with the senior executive managing editor and copy chief, set and maintain guidelines for house style. Evaluate invoices, negotiate fees, and make suggestions for hiring freelancers.
• Prepare manuscripts for design and typesetting.
• Check author and proofreader revisions have been made correctly.
• Copyedit and proofread indexes, jacket/cover copy, and other material, including a variety of advertising, promotional, and marketing materials.
• Maintain consistent style within each work.
• Work with editors and designers to anticipate and solve issues.
• Work closely with the managing editors to develop new or improved workflows and procedures, particularly with regard to emerging technologies.
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills. Strong knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
• Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style.
• Meticulous attention to detail.
• Ability to meet deadlines while maintaining high standards of quality and juggling multiple projects at once.
• Organize or schedule other people and their tasks effectively.
• Strong computer skills, including familiarity with Track Changes and electronic copyediting.
• Must have at least two years of relevant experience at another trade publisher. Must have children’s book experience, including working on titles from picture books through young adult fiction and nonfiction. Experience of working with licensed titles preferred.
Educational Background Required:
• Bachelor’s degree