SUMMARY: This role will report to the Director of Web Development. The Senior Digital Editor will lead the digital editorial team and will assist with day-to-day content creation and drive the longer-term content strategy throughout the web network. They will engage with other team members and other departments, membership department and the community at large to develop editorial.
The ideal candidate is a talented writer/editor who possesses strong editing, writing, analytical, and communication skills, with a minimum of 5+ years of professional experience in journalism or a related field. The Senior Digital Editor will ideate, write, and edit content for a variety of daily and monthly initiatives, with an emphasis on supporting our digital SEM, retail, and destination marketing efforts. The ideal candidate has experience using web-based data tools, or has used data in the past to help inform content creation. The candidate should be skilled at crafting headlines, generating unique ideas, working collaboratively, and finding creative new ways to reach new audiences.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
• Pitch and write episodic and evergreen content daily
• Have a solid understanding of optimizing content for SEO best practices
• Assign and edit content to freelance writing team for news, seasonal, and evergreen
• Ability to successfully navigate relationships across departments
• Ensure seamless and timely copy submissions
• Use analytics tools to identify trends and opportunities for refreshed and new content pitches
• Ensure content reflects voice and editorial standards of the various Houston First Brands
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
• College education—bachelor’s degree or equivalent
• 5+ years digital editorial experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Digital Content Development, Analytics tools such as Google Analytics, proficient in using a CMS
• Analytical and editorial sensibilities with the ability to proactively prioritize, manage and complete multiple projects simultaneously within time constraints and with strong attention to detail