Knowable Magazine, an award-winning online publication dedicated to exploring science research through a journalistic lens, is seeking a part-time Researcher to meticulously confirm facts in each piece of content (articles, graphics, multimedia) or to perform original research/reporting on a specific topic. Fact checking will include names, numbers, details, broad statements, spelling, historical information, quoted results of studies and surveys, data, affiliations of sources, including ascertaining that the sources did say what is quoted in story or implied information attributed to them. The individual in this role must be able to communicate diplomatically with colleagues, freelancers and sources to confirm information.
The hours of work will vary from approximately 8-18 hours per week and we will consider this role as a remote position for an exceptional candidate who resides in CA, OR, OH, NV, NC, VA, WA, WI, CO, MA, PA, NY, HI, or GA.
Qualified candidates need to have:
• Expertise in fact checking skills—independent research and reporting skills—to ensure an article's accuracy
• Excellent analytical skills to evaluate the language used and when that language should be changed
• Strong judgment
• A professional demeanor and ability to communicate with diplomacy and tact
• The ability to ensure that any quoted numbers or equations are correct
• A strong work ethic
• Mastery of the internet and excellent search skills to find accurate and up-to-date information
• Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
• Exceptional attention to detail
All candidates must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. without the need for employment visa sponsorship now or in the future.
If you possess the above requirements, please submit your resume, cover letter, references and 2-3 writing or editing samples by applying online at: