CQ Roll Call is seeking a versatile news production editor for copy editing and all facets of digital and print production, including website maintenance. In this role, you will be part of a team responsible for two websites -- one public-facing and the other subscription-driven – aimed at sophisticated audiences interested in politics, policy, and the federal legislative and regulatory process. The team is also responsible for production of a newspaper four times a week when Congress is in session, as well as multiple newsletters. The Production Team is critical to expanding the newsroom’s abilities to produce high-impact content and launch new verticals.
The typical schedule will be from 3 p.m. to 11 p.m., Monday to Friday, adjustments as needed.
- Edit stories, briefs, newsletters and other content to meet CQ Roll Call’s high standards for quality and excellence
- Move stories from the digital to print platform
- Write sharply focused headlines, cutlines and alerts
- Proof pages and trim stories as needed to fit allotted space.
- Coordinate with assignment editors to help polish content before publication
- Be one of a rotating group of editors to update the CQ and Roll Call home pages several times a day
- Add metadata to government-related documents and post them on the CQ site for subscribers
- Pass written tests on editing, AP style and congressional knowledge
- At least 3 years of experience in production or editing roles at newspapers, magazines, news websites or other media outlets. Experience in a Washington bureau or state capital is helpful.
- Knowledge of or demonstrable interest in Congress, the White House, elections and/or the federal budget and appropriations process
- Mastered AP style
- Experience using print and/or online publishing systems and tools, including WordPress, Adobe InCopy/InDesign, Photoshop