New York, NY
The production editor oversees approximately forty fiction and nonfiction titles per year, including graphic novels, complex illustrated titles, picture books, novelty books, and middle grade and YA novels. Manages the production editorial process by assigning copyediting of manuscripts and proofreading and indexing of page proofs. Checks for quality assurance of text, illustrations and photos, and jackets/covers at all stages from manuscript to finished books.
• Work as production editor on approximately forty new titles per year, plus paperback and other format conversions, where necessary. Keep books on schedule while juggling multiple projects at once.
• Hire freelance copyeditors, proofreaders, and indexers, and supervise and review their work.
• Prepare both paper and electronic manuscripts for design and typesetting.
• Review at all stages to ensure revisions have been made correctly.
• Monitor schedules and keep editors, managing editor, designers, and production managers updated on title status, working with them to resolve issues should they arise.
• Copyedit and proofread jacket/cover copy, indexes, and other material, including a variety of advertising and promotional material.
• Maintain consistent style within each work.
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills, including experience with electronic copyediting.
• Strong knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
• Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style.
• Meticulous attention to detail.
• Ability to meet deadlines while maintaining high standards of quality and juggling multiple projects at once.
• Strong computer skills, including familiarity with Track Changes and electronic copyediting.
• Must have at least two years of experience as a production editor at another trade publisher, ideally with children’s book experience. Experience with graphic novel and novelty formats a plus.
Educational Background Required:
• Bachelor’s degree