The Boston Globe is hiring a multiplatform editor, a versatile journalist who can help anchor publishing across our platforms.
The editor will be the last line of defense for stories, the final marker before a piece is published online or slotted for the paper. They will be a superior editor for copy, grammar, style, and ethical considerations. They should also excel at headline writing, photo selection, and application of basic metadata to a story. Furthermore, the editor should understand how all these pieces fit together to represent The Boston Globe each and every day.
Additionally, the editor will be a superior multitasker, able to handle multiple stories about a wide variety of topics each day under deadline pressure. They should be able to independently prioritize tasks, knowing when to pivot for breaking news and when to clear out time to dig in on an enterprise project. Layout skills are a plus.
Finally, we need someone collaborative who understands how to work as part of a tight-knit unit that publishes the Globe’s stories day and night. They should also be willing to work a flexible schedule that may include nights, weekends, or holidays.
● At least five years of experience as a journalist on a production or copy desk
● Excellent copy editing skills
● Able to concisely summarize news in headlines and decks
● Facility with using and learning new content management systems
● Skilled at multitasking and juggling multiple, fast-moving storylines at once
● Print layout experience
● Experience applying tags, taxonomies, and other basic story metadata
● A team player who thrives working in a group setting
● A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a
commitment to creating an inclusive work environment