To edit scientific articles written for a specialized medical readership.
• Edit medical articles in Word, including figures, tables, graphs, and citations, coding for an electronic publishing system, to ensure clarity, accuracy, and conformity to AMA style.
• Move content through editing and production quickly, meeting all deadlines.
• Follow all editorial policies for every article; alert manager of major problems.
• Resolve queries and disputes while maintaining clarity and ensuring conformity to AMA style.
• Coordinate between author and editorial/production staff throughout the publication process; postpublication, investigate any error that occurred, ensuring that the error is corrected.
• Confirm all necessary components of authorship forms and patient/copyright permissions.
• Read proofs closely for conformity to editorial and author changes and AMA style.
• Check links and tagging to ensure quality publication online.
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism, communications, English, or biological or physical sciences.
• Three or more years of experience as a manuscript editor or proofreader for a medical, scientific, or technical publication.
• Familiarity with AMA Manual of Style.
• Close attention to detail.
• Good interpersonal communication skills for regular contact with authors, editors, and production staff.
• Ability to organize and prioritize tasks.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. As an EOE/AA employer, the American Medical Association will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and veteran or disability status.
THE AMA IS COMMITTED TO IMPROVING THE HEALTH OF THE NATION