• Review, critique, and process scientific articles (≥6 manuscripts per week) edited by freelance manuscript editors.
• Assist freelancers improve their editing to ensure clarity, precision, readability, technical and structural accuracy, and integrity of content while maintaining AMA style, editorial policies, and publication deadlines.
• Follow up on queries and problems noted by copyreaders, proofreaders, and managing editors. Move content through editing and production cleanly and quickly. Investigate and correct errors in published articles.
• Edit manuscripts to maintain familiarity with style, editorial policies, and reporting standards.
• Bachelor’s degree (English, journalism, communications, biological or physical sciences, or mathematics preferred).
• Two to 3 years of experience as a copyeditor, production editor, proofreader, or editorial assistant for a medical, scientific, or technical publication.
• Familiarity with AMA style, electronic editing software, web-based content management systems, and an email-intensive environment strongly preferred; experience using Microsoft Office.
• Ability to coordinate, prioritize, review other’s work, and remain flexible in a fast-paced unit.
• Ability to work independently and withstand deadline pressure.
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills to interact with copyeditors, copyreaders, authors, and staff.
• Position is located in Chicago AMA office; requires working on site.
The AMA offers competitive salaries, including an incentive plan; excellent benefits and progressive technology. Our office is a business casual environment and we respect work-life balance. Please apply at https://ama-assn.csod.com/ats/careersite/jobdetails.aspx?site=2&c=ama-assn&id=718&source=ACES The AMA is located at 330 N. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 and is convenient to all public transportation.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. As an EOE/AA employer, the AMA will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and veteran or disability status.