Louisville, KY or remote
The American Printing House for the Blind (APH) is seeking an experienced Managing Editor to manage the development and launch of university and professional textbooks.
APH Press publishes educational content in the field of blindness and visual impairment to support teachers, families, and other professionals. APH Press texts are informed by the knowledge and skills of professionals who have had years of experience working with people who are blind or visually impaired.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Supports the APH Press Director, editors, and authors for content development in print, ebook, and web formats.
• Manages the peer review process. Identifies peer reviewers and prepares peer reviewer and internal feedback to help authors and editors refine their manuscripts.
• Works closely with, and provides clear guidance to, authors, content editors, developmental editors, copyeditors, indexers, and subject matter experts.
• Manages the production of APH Press publications in print, electronic, and alternate formats, works with freelancers, conversion or e-book companies, and other vendors. Recommends cost-effective production options and ensures adherence to accessibility standards.
• Oversees securing of copyrights and permissions with guidance from the Intellectual Property and Rights Manager.
• Creates, manages, and enforces editorial development schedules to ensure the timely publication of APH Press titles.
• Develops and maintains digital content including digital resources for titles, editorial policies, and copy for ecommerce sites.
• Works with designers and negotiates interior book design, securing photos and other illustrations as necessary while keeping costs in line with the project.
• Creates and revises production schedules and communicates them to marketing and fulfillment personnel in a timely manner.
• Maintains orderly archive of all project files, specifically Sharepoint files, and provides files of completed projects and related information to marketing and fulfillment staff.
• Ensures adherence to APA style guides.