North Mankato, Minnesota
Award-winning publisher The Creative Company is seeking a Managing Editor to join our team. The ideal candidate will have experience with both school/library and trade publishing and be proficient in developing dynamic concepts and guiding them through to completed products. Management experience is required. This position requires the candidate be a team-builder with a nuanced awareness of the book market, superior communication skills, and the drive to build a publishing program.
The Managing Editor will oversee both editorial and marketing tasks, including, but not limited to:
• ushering a yearly list of approximately 120 titles from production to warehouse delivery.
• leading a team of editors, designers, and freelance partners.
• recruiting, hiring, and retaining authors.
• working with leadership to develop innovative new product ideas while also maintaining the core products for which The Creative Company is well known.
• assisting in the development and execution of a smart, targeted marketing program, including the maintenance of a marketing schedule and the development, with staff, of sales and marketing collateral.
The successful candidate will have:
• 5+ years of book publishing experience, preferably experience with both the school/library and trade markets.
• excellent ability to prioritize tasks and manage their own time as well as ensure staff is managing theirs wisely.
• experience negotiating contracts with authors and licensing photos from stock agencies and individuals.
• keen line-editing skills. Although this is a managerial position, the Managing Editor will necessarily have a hand in editorial functions.
• experience hiring and managing a small staff.
• ability to travel occasionally (less than 10%).
Please provide a cover letter, including areas of expertise and salary requirements, a résumé, and three references with contact information.