APLU seeks a Public Affairs Manager to manage and execute communications strategies for an array of association projects and initiatives, support communications activities around APLU federal advocacy, promote the value of public higher education, assist with developing written content to be used on the website, in press releases, op-eds, blogs, etc., and assist with media relations work. As part of this work, the incumbent will provide an array of communications support for the NSF INCLUDES Aspire Alliance, an APLU-led initiative to help diversify STEM faculty and foster a more inclusive teaching and mentoring practices in the STEM fields. The successful candidate will be a strong writer, a team player, and a well-organized, creative individual with 3 years of strategic communications experience, an understanding of media and politics, a strong commitment to equity-focused public higher education issues, and a great sense of humor. This full-time position is based in Washington, DC.
• Exceptional writing, editing and communications skills in multiple formats (e.g. op-eds, advocacy papers, research papers, project reports, etc.). Able to analyze, synthesize and distill complex, academic information into understandable, thought-provoking and professional publications, op-eds, reports, etc.
• Strong verbal communicator who can synthesize complex information succinctly.
• An effective team member who can work independently, take initiative, exercise discretion, maintain confidentiality, demonstrate sound judgment, cooperate with co-workers and supervisors, and follow through assigned tasks to completion.
• Commitment to the mission of APLU, including equity-focused issues related to higher education.
• Did we mention a great sense of humor?
Please send a cover letter and resume (bonus points for writing samples) to APLU’s Human Resources Department at email@example.com with the subject line: Public Affairs Manager. Preference will be given to applications submitted by October 20, 2021.