American Psychiatric Association Publishing is seeking experienced freelance STEM copyeditors for our Books division. This opportunity involves working on books in psychiatry and mental health.
All applicants will be required to complete a test.
An ideal candidate
• Has a minimum of 5 years of copyediting experience in STEM publishing. Familiarity with medical terminology and style is a plus.
• Can take on at least four or five projects a year, possibly more (books vary in size from smaller handbooks to large textbooks).
• Excels at line editing (grammar, spelling, punctuation, and consistency) and fact checking (names, dates, etc.).
• Ensures accuracy and completeness of references (checks validity of URLs), confirms reference list matches text citations, and formats both according to APAP style.
• Can do some substantive editing for flow and content if needed to maintain consistency across a given project.
• Is able to meet or exceed deadlines.
• 5+ years of mental health/medical (preferred) or science/technical copyediting experience.
• Proficiency in Chicago, AMA, and/or APA styles. (Any one of these is sufficient; at least one is required.)
• Capable of working with in-house style guide and project-specific style sheets.
• Skilled with copyediting in Microsoft Word, including use of Tracked Changes. Must be familiar with use of style templates.
Rates are $45–$50 per hour depending on experience and project needs. If interested, please email your resume to APAPublishingBooks@psych.org. Please do not respond via ACES.