2100 M Street, NW Washington DC 20037
The Urban Institute, a nonprofit, non partisan, social and economic research organization, we believe in the power of evidence to improve lives and strengthen communities. We encourage intellectual honesty, innovation, diversity, and mutual respect, and our analysis elevates the debate, wherever it takes place.
We strive to attract and cultivate a vibrant, creative, and diverse community. The Urban Institute has built a cutting-edge in-house Outreach and Communications team that translates research for broad audiences. As part of those efforts, Urban is hiring an Editorial Specialist to take on a portfolio of research and communications products, mainly for the Health Policy Center (HPC) working on content shaping discussions of issues including repeal and replacement of the ACA and the expansion of Medicaid.
• Copyedit Urban Institute research publications, including policy briefs, reports, and working papers. Roughly half the
publications will be about health policy; the remaining half could be about opioid use disorder and treatment, social determinants of health, the social safety net, or related topics.
• Help build and manage relationships between HPC’s health economists and data scientists and the Communications Department’s digital communications, data visualization, editorial, and writing teams.
• Track and prioritize Health Policy Center editorial work.
• Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, or a related field and two to four years of related experience or training in copyediting, proofreading, and publications production.
• In-depth knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style (familiarity with AMA and Bluebook is also helpful).
• A keen, careful editorial eye that can spot minor errors and inconsistencies in long, dense publications.
• Firm grasp of English grammar and punctuation rules and the ability to read, analyze, and interpret research reports.
• Display experience with or enthusiasm for health policy.