Boulder, Colorado, USA, or Remote
The Editorial Assistant supports the publications department and the managing editor(s) of one or more of GSA’s publication projects. Salary Range: US$20.03–$28.04/hr. See the posting on www.geosociety.org for further details.
• Assists in eXtyling manuscripts; pre-flighting figures, tables, and cover art; reviewing copyediteding; compiling material; sending manuscripts to authors; proofreading; inputting corrections; quality checking online proofs;
• Usage of eJournal Press manuscript submission and review system (;
• Email correspondence
• Administrative and other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in English, journalism, or communications;
• Previous editorial experience in a publishing environment;
• Ability to communicate clearly and work amicably with others;
• Excellent command of English and familiarity with or the ability to quickly learn scientific terminology;
• Experience following a house style guide and the Chicago Manual of Style preferred;
• Ability to do many tasks efficiently, balance multiple priorities, and keep track of different publications;
• Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and comfort with spreadsheets;
• Highly proficient in the use of personal computers and various applications;
• Knowledge of manuscript submission and peer review systems, eXtyles, and the publication process preferred.
• May require overtime.
• Occasional travel may be required.
• Extensive computer work (six or more hours per day).
• Multiple projects and deadlines that create a demanding work environment are standard.
• GSA is headquartered in Boulder, Colorado, USA. Candidates available to work in the Boulder office 2 to 3 days per week are preferred, but fully remote candidates will be considered. GSA does not provide financial assistance for remote office setup.
To apply for the Editorial Assistant position, submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Cover letter should include why this job appeals to you, a short summary of your relevant experience, whether you will be a local or fully remote candidate, and your salary requirements.
GSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer: minority/female/disability/veteran.