Boulder, Colorado, or REMOTE
The Editorial Assistant supports the publications department and the managing editor(s) of one or more of GSA’s publication projects.
Salary Range: US$20.03–$28.04/hr
• Assists in editorial and production process (e.g., preparing manuscripts using eXtyles software; pre-flighting images and tables; reviewing copyedited manuscripts; compiling supplemental material; some copyediting as needed; sending manuscripts, figures, tables, and page proofs to authors; proofreading; inputting author corrections; quality checking online proofs and xml/html content)
• High-level usage of eJournal Press online submission and peer-review system
• XML codes metadata; packages and publishes online content; resupplies online files; identifies/resolves content tagging issues or works with vendors to resolve these
• Corresponds with authors, reviewers, editors, freelancers, production staff, and others;
• Updates and maintains various web pages;
• Administrative duties such as maintaining drives, archiving, tracking and updating publication data, and preparing reports;
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree, in English, journalism, or communications preferred
• Minimum 2 years editorial experience in publishing
• Communicates clearly and works amicably with all others
• Excellent command of English and good general knowledge of scientific terminology
• Experience following house style and the Chicago Manual of Style
• Complete tasks efficiently, balance multiple priorities, meet deadlines, and keep track of various publications
• Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and comfort with spreadsheets
• MS Office suite, Adobe Applications, Google Workspace (or similar), HTML, XML, virtual meeting software; comfortable with learning new software and systems
• Knowledge of manuscript submission and peer review systems, eXtyles, and the print/electronic publication process preferred
• May require overtime and/or occasional travel
• 6 hours or more per day of computer work
• Multiple projects/deadlines that create a demanding work environment are standard
See full job description at https://www.geosociety.org/gsa/education_careers/gsa/hr/editorial-assistant-202107.aspx
Please submit your cover letter and résumé to HR@geosociety.org.