The National Art Education Association (NAEA) is seeking a full-time Editorial Assistant to assist and support the Publications Manager in copyediting and production of research periodicals, marketing pieces, books, and its annual convention programs.
—A key requirement is solid work experience in copyediting/proofreading. An estimated 85 percent of this position entails using such skills.
—In addition, the candidate should have work experience in collaborating closely with others on deadline as well as be flexible and open to feedback.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
• Work closely with the Publications Manager, and members of the Publications team, to copyedit/proofread a newsletter (5 issues/year), two research-based journals (6 issues/year; 4 issues/year), and regular marketing materials. Proofread other projects and special publications as needed, enforcing editorial standards consistent with NAEA house Style Guide and the current edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA).
• Organize submissions and deadlines for newsletter. Edit submissions, maintain correspondence and deadlines with columnists, prepare files for production, and proof final layouts.
• Copyedit/proof and share files through file-sharing platforms such as Google Docs, Dropbox, and Acrobat.
• Perform research in response to publication inquiries from authors, editors, and Association members as needed.
• BA in Publishing, Communications, or related degree.
• Required: Experience in copyediting and proofreading skills. Familiarity with APA Style Manual preferred.
• Minimum 5 years of professional experience, working in a nonprofit environment preferred. At least 3 years of direct publications experience with membership organization is helpful.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat, including Word tracked changes and PDF editing tools. Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, Mac, and database management skills preferred. Experience with Editorial Manager or similar online submission systems, a plus.
TO APPLY: No phone calls please. Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A copyediting test will be part of the application process.