Lancaster Farming newspaper and LancasterFarming.com continue to grow! Our print newspaper and our website are a leading source of news and information for the farming and agricultural communities we serve. We are in need of a versatile, digitally-savvy editor to write for our existing publications and develop new content verticals in print and online.
If you have a journalism degree or experience in the field, a keen interest in rural life and a desire to apply your creativity to the advancement of our award-winning editorial products, we want to talk to you. If you have an interest in equine topics, we’d like to hear about that too.
Essential Job Functions:
- Under the guidance of the editorial department’s managing editor, and in conjunction with other team members, this position will be an active content creator who is able to produce a significant content stream while also managing other content creators. This position will also test and develop new content verticals to grow audiences in both print and online.
- Develop content source relationships and curate material relevant to high-interest aspects of agriculture and farm life.
- Recruit and manage correspondents to report on events/trends and find compelling features throughout our coverage area.
- Write about and photograph story topics.
- Work with the digital team to determine the best story format for online pieces, such as video, photo galleries, listicles, long-form, alternative form, or podcast.
- Diligently track metrics on website audience growth and retention and make appropriate adjustments to content.
- Good communication and organizational skills are important.
- Ability to report and write are key.
- Editing in AP style is essential.
- Aptitude for working both independently and in a team environment is required.
- News website experience, e.g. posting stories and tracking pageviews, is important.