Gatekeeper Press, a self-publishing imprint, is hiring part-time freelance Developmental/Copy Editors and Proofreaders.
This position is remote for candidates with editing or proofreading experience, and a familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition.
Work is paid per-word and includes Children’s and Adult Fiction and Non-Fiction titles.
• Perform Developmental Edits: analysis of theme/plot/character development, notes on the style at a macro level, check use of language for the book genre, basic fact checking, and attention to formatting consistency.
• Perform Copy Edits (Line Edits): comprehensive, line-by-line, technical check for all typographical errors including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and syntax; address language-usage and provide notes for improving the flow; ensure a technically-sound manuscript ready for layout; address author comments/questions.
• Proofread: May be on a Word Document or a post-formatted PDF. Manuscript: grammar, spelling, punctuation, typos, character names, flag copyright/citation issues. PDF: previous concerns plus formatting glitches (e.g. incorrect line breaks, spacing issues, widows/orphans), missing quotes, incorrect pagination, incorrect references, etc.
• Master’s preferred in English, Fine Arts, Writing, Library Science, Literature/Children’s Literature, Teaching/Education. Will consider candidates in the degree process with equivalent experience.
• Bachelor’s students who are Seniors in English, Literature, or Education coursework will be considered.
• Comfort applying the Chicago Manual of Style, 17th Edition.
• Outstanding knowledge of language, grammar, and usage.
• Two years of experience performing Developmental/Copy Edits or Proofreading.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Word (especially “Track Changes” usage), Excel, basic features of Adobe Acrobat, Skype.
• Ability to organize, prioritize, and maintain high-quality work while meeting deadlines.
• Familiarity with children’s literature conventions, or knowledge of how to handle Biblical citations are a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer for all characteristics protected by law.
Please submit a resume and cover letter with qualifications, education, and experience to email@example.com. Submit links to published materials. The application process includes paid editing tests.