Gatekeeper Press, a small Columbus, Ohio, imprint for self-published authors is hiring for part-time freelance Developmental/Copy Editors and Proofreaders.
Remote position for candidates with editing or proofreading experience and familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition.
We are hiring for multiple positions and can accommodate flexible schedules. Work is paid on a per-word basis.
Work with both Children’s and Adult Fiction or Non-Fiction
• Developmental Edits: analysis of theme/plot/character development, provide notes on the author’s style, check for use of appropriate language for the genre, basic fact checking, and attention to formatting consistency.
• Copy Edits: technical check for all typographical errors including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and syntax; address language-usage issues and provide minor recommendations for improvements; ensure a manuscript ready for layout.
• Proofread: May be a Word Document or a post-formatted PDF. Word: grammar, spelling, punctuation, typos, character name consistency, flag copyright/citation issues. PDF: previous plus formatting glitches (e.g. bad line breaks, spacing issues, widows/orphans), incorrect pagination, etc.
• Master’s Degree preferred in English, Fine Arts, Writing, Library Science, Literature/Children’s Literature, Teaching/Education. Will consider candidates in the degree process with equivalent experience.
• Familiarity with and comfort applying The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th Edition.
• Two years of experience editing.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Word (especially “Track Changes” usage), Excel, basic Adobe Acrobat, Skype.
• Ability to organize, prioritize, and maintain high-quality work while meeting deadlines.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. If you have prior experience editing, writing, book reviewing, or other authorship, please submit links to published portfolio materials. The application process will include short editing and/or proofreading tests.