Gatekeeper Press is hiring for freelance Developmental/Copy Editors and Proofreaders.
This position is fully remote for candidates with a love of literature, editing or proofreading experience, and an intimate familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style.
We are hiring for multiple positions, part-time, work is paid on a per-word basis.
Work with both Children’s and Adult Fiction or Non-Fiction titles
• Perform Developmental Edits: analysis of theme/plot/character development, provide notes on the author’s style at a macro level, check for use of appropriate language for the book genre, basic fact checking, and attention to formatting consistency.
• Perform Copy Edits (Line Edits): comprehensive, line-by-line, technical check for all typographical errors including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and syntax; address language-usage issues and provide minor recommendations for improving the overall flow of the text; ensure a technically sound manuscript ready for typesetting and layout; address any author comments/questions.
• Proofread: May be conducted on a Word Document manuscript or a post-formatted PDF.
• Master’s preferred in English, Fine Arts, Writing, Library Science, Literature/Children’s Literature, Teaching/Education. Will consider those pursuing a degree with equivalent experience.
• Other educational/professional experience considered with an equivalent experience.
• Bachelor’s students who are Seniors in English, Literature, or Teaching/Education coursework considered for Proofreading.
• Extreme familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style.
• Outstanding knowledge of language, grammar, and usage.
• Two years of experience performing Developmental/Copy Edits or Proofreading.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, basic features of Adobe Acrobat, Skype.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Submit a resume and cover letter explaining qualifications, education, and relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application process will include short editing and/or proofreading tests as applicable.