The Intercept is seeking an experienced copy editor to join our editorial team. The ideal candidate is a sharp, creative editor with a keen eye for detail, a mastery of grammar and mechanics, web production skills, and enthusiasm for The Intercept’s mission, style, and core areas of coverage. The copy editor will be responsible for ensuring clarity, accuracy, and consistency across a range of content, from breaking news stories and photo captions to membership emails and long-form investigative projects. They will also help develop our house style guidelines, draft display copy, and produce The Intercept’s semiweekly newsletters.
- Edit stories and other content grammar, spelling, syntax, and punctuation while preserving style and voice
- Spot check numbers, links, proper nouns, and other small, searchable facts
- Produce stories in WordPress, i.e. format articles, write SEO copy and URLs, and other supporting web elements
- Curate and edit semiweekly newsletters
- Other appropriately related projects/duties as assigned
- 3+ years of copy-editing experience, including for digital news publications
- 1+ year of newsletter production experience, or strong interest in working on newsletters
- Familiarity with content managing systems; WordPress is preferred
- Working knowledge of AP Stylebook and a nerdy interest in researching, debating, and developing internal style guidelines
- Experience using workflow tools and internal communication platforms in a newsroom setting
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to respond to shifting priorities and demands based on the news cycle and organization's needs, including occasionally being on call for breaking news after hours and on weekends (a typical work day is from 10:00 AM to 6:00 p.m. ET)
This position is recognized as part of the Writers Guild of America, East, Inc.