The Denton Record-Chronicle is looking for a part-time copy editor with a keen eye, solid news judgment and a sense of page design. Duties and responsibilities include:
• editing news and sports stories for accuracy, clarity and style, for print and web;
• laying out news and sports pages for the daily e-Edition and weekend print edition;
• writing clear, accurate headlines and photo cutlines;
• attractively packaging stories with photos and graphic elements for print and web;
• writing eye-catching social media posts; and
• using news judgment and meeting deadlines.
Candidates should have a bachelor’s degree, or be close to completing one, in journalism or a related field. One to three years of professional newspaper experience strongly preferred — college newspaper experience is acceptable. Working knowledge of Associated Press style and some experience with page design (such as Adobe InDesign) required. Experience with a content management system preferred. You will be trained to use Town News BLOX Total CMS and Adobe InDesign. Work hours will involve evenings/nights, weekends and holidays.
The Denton Record-Chronicle is locally owned and is committed to providing the highest quality of community journalism while being an innovator in how news is delivered, through both print and digital channels. Denton Media Co. publishes daily news in print and online at dentonrc.com and in the bimonthly Denton County magazine.
Send a cover letter, resume and relevant work samples to Nightside Editor Mariel Tam-Ray at firstname.lastname@example.org.