Contract developmental editing position. Start and end dates are somewhat flexible, but mid-May through October 2021 desired.
The Developmental Editor confirms that the organization and structure of the content is consistent with product goals. This includes restructuring content to ensure flow, readability, and alignment with pedagogy, where applicable, for competency and learning products.
Accountabilities & responsibilities, in collaboration with manager and other developmental editors:
• Work with the Content and Product Development Team to understand the content and audience for products and make recommendations as to structure and flow of the product.
• Receive and organize content for completed manuscript. Assess content and create development plan.
• Develop the manuscript according to development plan. This could include reorganization and rewriting of content, when appropriate, for flow and readability, facilitating content transitions, and assessing pedagogical elements to ensure a strong product.
• Adapt content, when necessary, for a global audience.
• Review editorial changes, when needed, and resolve queries with Content and Product Development Team.
• Collaborate with instructional designers on various learning projects to lend expertise to content presentation.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Thorough knowledge of grammar, publishing styles, and publishing conventions.
• Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style and Associated Press Stylebook.
• Strong editorial, project management, strategic thinking, planning, quality assurance, organization, problem-solving, diplomacy, customer service, analytical, and communication skills.
• Familiarity with application of pedagogy to learning and competency products.
• Self-starter with the ability to manage multiple priorities and projects under tight deadlines while maintaining accuracy and quality.
• Strong attention to detail while understanding the “big picture.”
• Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).