You are a Copy Editor with at least two years of professional editing experience who can cut through bad grammar and boring jargon with a knife. We, The Motley Fool, are a fun, innovative financial media company looking for someone to edit articles on a contract basis. This a roll-up-your-sleeves-and-get-dirty editing job!
As a copy editor, you'll publish articles directly to our website via the Fool's content management system, so you'll need to be technologically savvy and comfortable editing online. If you like finance or have financial experience, that's a big plus since you'll be reading investing and personal finance stories throughout your shift.
You'll be on the lookout for problems of clarity, grammar, style, and accuracy, helping to ensure error-free and Foolish content. A typical day involves working with a team of writers, bureau editors, and other copy editors to produce investing and personal finance information that makes the world smarter, happier, and richer.
We are looking for someone who can work roughly 20 hours per week; please let us know if evenings (in the 4 p.m. to midnight range, Eastern time) are an option for you.
- Edits and proofreads online content for clarity, grammar, accuracy, in-house style, and general Foolish tone.
- Works with our online content management system to ensure correct formatting and article workflow.
- Ability to leap tall buildings and catch typos in a single bound.
- Devotion to grammar and detail.
- Dazzling under deadline pressure.
- Familiarity with SEO.
- Ability to prioritize/organize multiple workflows.
- Comfortable working with a collaborative team.
- Familiarity with content written for the web.
- Knack for delivering feedback tactfully, and receiving it gracefully.
- Patience of a saint.
- Sense of humor -- successful Fools can laugh at themselves!