Remote or Durham, NC
RTI International is seeking an experienced Copy Editor/Publications Coordinator with specific training in editing or at least 3 years of focused experience as a publications editor. The successful candidate will have experience working with a style guide such as The Chicago Manual of Style and excellent interpersonal communications skills. An international background or experience working with ESL individuals is preferred. Editor will provide publications support to RTI’s international staff in the production of technical reports, white papers, proposals, journal articles, presentation materials, guidelines documents, outreach materials, newsletters, and brochures. This position is open to all US residents.
• Bachelor’s degree with 5 years of editing experience; or Master’s degree and 2 years of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
• Experience working with ESL documents and authors is required.
• Fluency in French or Spanish is required.
• To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States and should not require now, or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status.
• Extensive knowledge of fundamental principles, terminology, and methodology of technical editing and document organization
• Extensive knowledge of style guides and/or other writing conventions
• Extensive knowledge of grammar and punctuation rules
• Effective communication skills, required for providing diplomatic and constructive comments to clients, providing project leadership on publications teams, and developing and maintaining strong client base
• Ability to understand and follow written guidelines, including departmental policies, RTI policies and procedures, and work orders
• Skill in abstracting or condensing general information for inclusion in documents
• Skill in internet searching and academic bibliography development
• Broad knowledge of word processing, graphics, and printing processes and software for document production