The American Academy of Pediatrics, the nation’s leading advocacy organization for children’s health, is seeking a mission driven associate editor with a strong AP Style background to join our team. This position will write and edit content for AAP News, the official news-magazine of the AAP, AAP News On Call, and other member news publications. In addition, this role will contribute to member-facing social media platforms and assist with the planning and editing of AAP News and other member news communications.
Reporting to the Director, Member News, some tasks include:
1. Research subject matter, identify topic experts, interview sources, and write news and feature stories for AAP News print and online. Edit articles, columns, commentaries, and feature stories as assigned.
2. Oversee content management and editing of AAP News On Call email newsletter, track submitted content, analyze metrics, and recommend updates to maintain/improve member engagement. Collaborate with others in public affairs for a strategic approach.
3. Collaborate with relevant AAP staff to develop and guide member news social media strategy on new and existing platforms, creating posts and managing content for member-facing social media platforms. Monitor performance, oversee ventures into new platforms, and work with other staff members on training as needed.
4. Work with other members of the AAP News team to maintain the aapnews.org website.
5. Proofread AAP News magazine before it goes to press.
6. Oversee content and management of annual awards section.
1. Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications, or related discipline or an equivalent combination of relevant education and work experience required.
2. At least three years’ related experience in editing, reporting, news writing, and publication production required, preferably for association publications, daily newspapers, and/or news magazines. Knowledge of AP style required. Experience writing on health-related topics and working in an association desirable.