The Assistant Editor will assist with all facets of item editing processes designated by their supervisor. The Assistant Editor will proofread items with statistics and ensure error-free content in line with procedures. The Assistant Editor will develop skills required for progression to Editor I in terms of item editing and facilitating on-site meetings with subject matter experts (SMEs). Tasks include, but are not limited to: editing, communicating with SMEs, participating in on-site item-writing workshops, assisting with department projects, and supporting editing activities in general.
• Develop editing skills required for progression to Editor I, including mastering the style guide, writing appropriate comments, and ensuring error-free text
• Screen items for language that may be perceived as discriminatory or offensive
• When needed, conduct research to verify item content
• Support editors in preparation and follow-up tasks related to item-writing workshops
• Provide support during workshops to SMEs and staff
• Learn to facilitate workshops and review meetings independently
• Present engaging short presentations to SMEs at workshops
• Support editing administrative functions as needed, including scheduling, emailing, and research
• Help maintain the editing team’s shared resources, including the style guide, laboratory value repositories, and editing macros
• Submit items through the item bank when needed
• Superior attention to detail, typing accuracy, and proofreading skills
• Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Flexibility and a positive, team-oriented attitude
• Ability to learn and apply editing principles at a rapid pace
• Ability and desire to lead groups of SMEs in writing and review activities
• Proficient in MS Word, Excel, and Outlook
To Apply: Please submit resume and letter of interest summarizing your qualifications to Human Resources by email at HRadmin@nbome.org.
The NBOME is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants must be legally eligible to work in the United States. NBOME is an E-Verify participant.