Chicago, IL 60631
The Assistant Editor will assist with all facets of item editing processes designated by their supervisor. The Assistant Editor will proofread items with statistics, ensuring error-free content in line with procedural changes. The Assistant Editor will develop skills required for progression to Editor I in terms of item editing and facilitating meetings with subject matter experts (SMEs). The Assistant Editor will support item-writing workshops, organization and maintenance of the editing team’s resources, and editing activities in general. Tasks include, but are not limited to: support for the activities of one or more editors in managing the item editing process, communicating with SMEs, preparing for workshops, and assisting with department projects (e.g., scheduling, laboratory repositories, finalizing terminology recommendations, finalizing procedures); workshop participation; and supervised item editing.
• Proofread items with statistics, ensuring error-free content in line with procedural changes
• Develop editing skills required for progression to Editor I, including mastering the style guide, writing appropriate comments, and ensuring error-free text
• Screen items for language that may be perceived as discriminatory or offensive
• When needed, conduct research to verify item content
• Support editors in preparation and follow-up tasks related to item-writing workshops
• Provide support during workshops to subject matter experts and staff as assigned
• Present engaging short presentations to SMEs at workshops as requested.
• Support editing administrative functions as needed in tasks such as scheduling, emailing, and research.
• Help maintain the editing team’s shared resources, including the style guide, laboratory value repositories, and editing macros
• Submit items through the item bank when needed
• Superior attention to detail, typing accuracy and proofreading skills
• Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Flexibility and positive, team-oriented attitude
• Ability to learn and apply editing principles at a rapid pace
• Proficient in MS Word, Excel and Outlook